If you know me, you will know that I talk alot. I practically have an answer for everything. My Mom and brother are very quiet, My Dad was also a quiet man. My siblings from him are not so quiet but I take the cake for being the most talkative. I was one of those kids that got kicked out off class because I would annoy my teachers with my yapping. Those who attended varsity with me will also tell you that I was one of those annoying students who contributed to the lecture being long when they just wanted the lecture to finish or to go out for their smoke breaks. Yeah I am one of those. I must say though, it got better with growth (I think).
Now in my period of being unemployed I realised something. Everytime I go to an interview (I have had a couple) and the "Who is Simnikiwe" question pops up I take long to answer it. Like really long, that awkward silence long. Eventually I end up answering the question but it is never about who I really am. The last interview I had, well this one wasnt really an interview but an audition. I was asked to describe myself in my mother tounge. I wanted to cry. I was so shocked. I know my mother tounge but come on describing myself in my mother tounge felt like an impossible thing to do. Needless to say, I failed at it dismally. The camera man was laughing behind the camera and the lady auditioning (she's Afrikaans) said : "I am not Xhosa but I understood most of the things you said". I wanted to die so I asked her to give me another question and she asked what my hobbies are...Thats when I thought "there's no winning here" I told her what they were in ENGLISH and justified it by saying " There are no Xhosa words for my kind of hobbies". I was telling the truth though. What's facebook and Twitter in Xhosa?... Exactly my point. It was a fun experience though.
So through my job hunting, I have been forced to do some introspection, it has been so difficult because this involves looking in deep at myself and tracing back things that made me who I am. Obviously for work purposes I will have to omit the gory details. I wanted to go further and just find out who I really was and what I stood for. Just like I always have an answer for everything in an instant, I also wanted to answer the "WHO IS SIMNIKIWE" question in an instant.
Now I can say I have two answers of who I really am (workwise and growthwise)
I am not just an empty vessel that makes the most noise anymore, now I talk like this cause I can back it up, LOL.
Sims
xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment